Saturday, August 8, 2015

lucky number seven

Hi friends,

It's been seven years since we received news of Phil's myeloma diagnosis. It's such a bittersweet day, every year. I can't help but remember the hopeless, sinking feeling and utter trauma of learning that Phil had cancer. But I also can't help but be grateful for seven years when, at that time, we had no idea what was to come.

Strangely, it feels like an eternity ago and simultaneously like it all happened yesterday. Or even like it happened to someone else. I don't often visit this blog and read past entries because it makes me feel so sad for the Us of seven years ago. I wish I could visit the Me who would sit down and weep in the diaper aisle of Meijer at midnight when I was finally alone with my thoughts, and give myself a snapshot of just how exquisitely ordinary life would be in seven years.

Thankfully, myeloma is no longer at the forefront of our daily lives or thoughts. But it's kind of like a little guy that sits on my shoulder and taps me from time to time. I'm always aware of its presence. Myeloma is always just sort of there, but it doesn't scare me like it used to. Chemo continues, but so do our lives.

Because other things are always there, too. Our three amazing kids who never stop for a minute and fill our lives with so much laugher and awe and joy. Our families who move mountains to love and care for us. Friends who make us laugh and aren't afraid to ask how things are going. Our gratitude drowns out the cancer noise.

I am hopeful that in another seven years I will be able to write a similar blog. In the mean time, there are clothes to fold, dishes to wash and kids to take to the park. Ah, exquisite ordinariness.

xo,
Cassie

9 comments:

Lorna A. said...

I am so pleased to hear that you have lives as mundane as the one I had at the same age. Delighted that you have the joy of being berated by teenage kids, it will come.
Love to you all


Julie said...

Hi Cassie and Phil, thanks for the update! You know in this "MM blogosphere community" we all "worry" when one of our MM pals doesn't update, but I certain that NO news meant GREAT news for Phil and your family! So glad life has "normalized" for your beautiful family and I hope Phil gets another 77 years from this 7 year anniversary! Love and hugs to all of you :) Julie

Julie said...

Supposed to say: I WAS certain... silly blogs won't allow us to correct mistakes. Take care, and enjoy all the wonderful things in your lives! xoxo :)

Winter67 said...

Hi,

My name is Patsi and I just turned 73. I was diagnosed with MM in December 2011.
I was on Revlimed and Dexamethasone and did fine until Sept. 2015. I got a massive UTI infection, which I did not know I had.( i know) Ended up in hospital for over a week and came home with a DX of DIC, which is Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation. Never heard of it.My oncologist told me I was very lucky. I survived. It can kill you. God isin control, and guess He was not through with me. My M-Spike before was 0.5 and now is 1.79. God, my Oncologist and me have a lot of work to do, but I will make it. I WILL NOT BE A 5 YEAR STATISTIC.

Unknown said...

i really love your blog on phil hope you continue to update my husband is newly diagnosed so i'm skowering the internet
judy walton calif

Linda said...

Catching up on blogs from what was a crazy busy period in our lives from August through December. I just love this post and your ability to phrase so much of what we all feel. So happy for your "ordinariness", and the joy of simply living your life without MM having to be the monster in the room. May 2016 continue to bring more happiness, and more of all the things that make you smile! I bet playing in the snow has been happening alot out your way!

Unknown said...

It's obvious some patient with HIV are been enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2009 until I was introduce by a blogger who also narrated Her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Dr Native Cure . This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from HIV. All thanks to God for using this Great and sincere herbalist to heal me. I have promise to keep telling good about him. Please fill free to share Your problems with him and don't forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on whatsapp or mail on +2349071799626, drogunrootherds@outlook.com

robert mary said...


WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my
I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105 for the cure, he will help you out
with the problems.

Doree - Embroidery & Screen Printing said...


heat transfer vinyl
embroidery services in brisbane
screen printing solutions in brisbane