Thursday, December 5, 2013

Would you go for two?

Many people tuned in to the epic game between my love, Michigan Football and their bitter rival, The Ohio State last Saturday. It was a battle, both teams pushing hard towards victory. For Ohio State, their National Title hopes were on the line. For Michigan, restored dignity and a final home game for the Seniors who undoubtedly wanted to end their regular season and last home game on a high note, beating the Buckeyes.



So how did it end? Well, Michigan displayed it's usual last minute heroics and drove the field to score the game tying touchdown with seconds left, assuming an automatic extra point from the kicker.

But wait....they didn't bring out the kicker. In stead, the offense is on the field and they are showing signs that they are going for two! Wow, they make it, it's a historic win, if they miss, well...they lose to rival Ohio State in dramatic fashion. I was at the game....the air got very thick in anticipation.

Ohio State not ready to handle a two point conversion, calls a timeout.

What does Coach Hoke do? Does he second guess his decision and put in his kicker knowing that Ohio State just burned their last timeout, knowing with in reason that this game has a very strong chance of going to overtime?

No. He turns to the Seniors and asks (paraphrased): "Men, what do you want to do?" Unanimously, they wanted to go for the WIN!

Of course, they go on to miss the conversion and Ohio State sneaks out of the Big House with a one point victory.

This week I have let the decision to go for two really sink in, along with the final outcome, and I have learned a lot about myself.

Mostly, I have learned that I am a "Go for Two" kind of guy. I pursue life wanting to take every moment to win right then and there, not hold out for a what-may-be victory. I want to seize it. I want to experience it...Now.

This can explain why I put my body through 3.5 years of treatment, including 7 cycles of a very nasty chemotherapy regiment, followed by back to back bone marrow transplants, 7 more cycles of chemo, followed up by maintenance chemotherapy.

This also explains why I am uneasy about seeing a trace amount of Myeloma in my blood. The current medical staff at UMCCC is not happy about the results, but there also isn't a sense of urgency, a sense that we need to go for two if you will.

I cannot escape my Go For Two personality. I want to win the Championship, I want to win the Big Game...I want to be cured of Multiple Myeloma. 

So where does that leave us? Oddly enough, I will most likely return to Columbus soon, yes, The Ohio State, to get some of their thoughts and opinions on where they think I should head. I also anticipate a visit or two to see Dr. J in Chicago and and Dr. Barlogie in Arkansas. Simply put, these Doctors are my 'Seniors' who I go to when I have to make the decision of whether or not to go for two...although I am like Coach Hoke, I always want to go for the WIN!




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah...as has long been said, a tie game in football is about as thrilling as kissing your sister...on the other hand staying alive to fight another day shouldn't be undervalued.
Either way, young man, I'll be rootin' for you to dominate once again! ;)

Steve

Alex Bicknell said...

As a Brit, I just had to read up on the rules of 2-point conversions!

I'm like you - a go-for-2 by nature, currently less than impressed to see my myeloma is still detectable, though I'm in remission (DialM).

But myeloma - I hope - is a long game. There will be time for the extra play. Being ambitious isn't the same as being in a hurry. Hang in there.

Stephen Greene said...

You're young and tough as nails, Phil. Go for the win.....

robert mary said...


WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my
I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105 for the cure, he will help you out
with the problems.

Doree - Embroidery & Screen Printing said...

Nice Article!
embroidery company in Australia
Screen printing services